- Visit the following site: ART21 (Links to an external site.).
- Click on the ARTISTS link at the top of the page.
- Find a sculptural work of art that you feel is unusual and does not fit the “traditional” form of sculpture. The sculpture might intrigue you, confuse you, or trigger an emotional response, either positive or negative.
- Post an image of the sculpture to the discussion board.
- Include the artist’s name, title of the sculpture, date, and the materials.
Address the following issues in a detailed essay, indicating knowledge of the terms, phrases, and concepts you learned from the reading assignments in class.
- Why do you think it is unusual?
- What is the artist’s message?
- What is the method of execution according to the textbook? Explain.
- How does it stimulate the senses? Explain.
- Using nontraditional materials found in or around your environment, construct an “unusual” sculptural form. For example, you can use cardboard, tape, string, pasta, sticks, stones, shells, twigs, cans, aluminum foil, nails, found objects, recycled objects, etc.
- Take a photo and post the image directly to the discussion board.
- Title your sculpture. What is your message?