For the Unit 1 Complete assignment, write a narrative essay (minimum of 1000 words) which addresses the questions and statements below. When finished, the essay should demonstrate a thorough understanding of the READ and ATTEND sections. A minimum of three scholarly sources are required, and all sources should be cited and referenced in APA format.
- Define the term group and specify the necessary conditions required to qualify as a group.
- Discuss the concept that humans have a fundamental need to belong to groups.
- Compare and contrast individualism and collectivism, focusing specifically on the four components identified by Triandis in his analysis: social relations, social obligations, shared goals, and the social self.
- Summarize the basic assumptions of social identity theory.
- Explain why some people are more likely to join groups than others, drawing on studies of individual differences in personality (e.g., the five-factor model) and relationality (e.g., shyness, social anxiety, attachment style, and gender).