Begin this assignment by reviewing the two Haberman articles (Haberman, 1991; Haberman, 2004). Haberman coined the phrase “pedagogy of poverty” to describe the way poverty affects education.
You may find the Revelations-Emotions-Questions-Disagreements format helpful in organizing your thoughts on the subject.
This format asks you to note:
- What were the most important revelations or insights for me from reading these articles?
- What emotional reactions did I have, at what points in the articles, and why?
- What questions do I have now about the topics of these articles?
- With what might I disagree? How is that related to my own life experiences?
After you have completed your reading and reflection, locate two websites that discuss the topic of poverty and education, and write an essay addressing the following:
- Provide the website URL and a brief summary of what is on the site and who operates the site.
- How similar or different are views on the web sites from those of Haberman, and in what particular ways?
- What would you say are the best-supported findings concerning the impact of poverty on education?
- What would you say are the recommendations about improving the situation that you feel most strongly about? Provide a justification for your answer, citing Haberman and the websites you chose.
- What do you see as the greatest short-term obstacles to carrying out your suggestions? How might you get around them?
- What search strategy would you recommend for identifying Web resources on poverty and education?
Length: 3-5 pages
Your paper should demonstrate thoughtful consideration of the ideas and concepts that are presented in the course and provide new thoughts and insights relating directly to the topic. Your response should reflect scholarly writing and current APA standards. Be careful to adhere to Northcentral’s Academic Integrity Policy.