I’m working on a business writing question and need a sample draft to help me learn.
According to course material, explain why Matthew has the disciples understanding where Mark has the disciples not understanding in the following passages according to the readings and modules in this course:
- Mark 8:14-21
- 14 The disciples had forgotten to bring bread, except for one loaf they had with them in the boat. 15 “Be careful,” Jesus warned them. “Watch out for the yeast of the Pharisees and that of Herod.” 16 They discussed this with one another and said, “It is because we have no bread.” 17 Aware of their discussion, Jesus asked them: “Why are you talking about having no bread? Do you still not see or understand? Are your hearts hardened? 18 Do you have eyes but fail to see, and ears but fail to hear? And don’t you remember? 19 When I broke the five loaves for the five thousand, how many basketfuls of pieces did you pick up?” “Twelve,” they replied. 20″And when I broke the seven loaves for the four thousand, how many basketfuls of pieces did you pick up?” They answered, “Seven.” 21 He said to them, “Do you still not understand?”
- Matthew 16:5-12
- 5 When they went across the lake, the disciples forgot to take bread. 6 “Be careful,” Jesus said to them. “Be on your guard against the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees.” 7 They discussed this among themselves and said, “It is because we didn’t bring any bread.” 8 Aware of their discussion, Jesus asked, “You of little faith, why are you talking among yourselves about having no bread? 9 Do you still not understand? Don’t you remember the five loaves for the five thousand, and how many basketfuls you gathered? 10 Or the seven loaves for the four thousand, and how many basketfuls you gathered? 11 How is it you don’t understand that I was not talking to you about bread? But be on your guard against the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees.” 12 Then they understood that he was not telling them to guard against the yeast used in bread, but against the teaching of the Pharisees and Sadducees.
- Question 2
In the presentation of the death of Jesus in Matthew’s Gospel, why according to course readings does Matthew have tombs opening and people coming out and appearing to many?
- Matthew 27:51-54
- 51 At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook and the rocks split. 52 The tombs broke open and the bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. 53 They came out of the tombs, and after Jesus’ resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many people. 54 When the centurion and those with him who were guarding Jesus saw the earthquake and all that had happened, they were terrified, and exclaimed, “Surely he was the Son of God!”
- question 3
- What according to class material is Mark’s central understanding [give only one concept] of Christian discipleship? Substantiate your answer with references to Mark’s gospel (from two different chapters).
- QUESTION 4
- Give the portraits of Jesus according to Matthew, and Mark that were covered in the readings and modules in this course. Give 3 elements for each evangelist; briefly explain why each element fits each gospel. [description is half credit and explanation is half of the credit]
Jesus according to Matthew:
Jesus according to Mark: