a) Benchmark Assignment: Integrating Science and Mathematics
i) Create a unit plan integrating science and math content of fractions, decimals, and/or percents.
ii) Ensure you have listed each of the science (NSES)) and math (NCTM) standards to include learning goals and objectives.
iii) Create the unit plan including the following:
(1) Clear-cut objectives that align to standards
(2) Relevant materials and resources
(3) Differentiation of instruction to address the diverse needs of students. Name the differentiation strategies for the specific diverse groups.
(4) Problem solving and inquiry strategies
(5) The 12 science processes
(6) Concrete manipulatives to help develop science and fraction/decimal sense
(7) Informal and/or formal assessment that align with objectives
(8) Authentic, formative and/or summative assessments
(9) Allow for student reflection
iv) Write a narrative of 1,000-1,250-words that addresses the assignment criteria, gives specific examples from the unit plan, and state your rationale.
v) Prepare this assignment according to the APA guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required. Include an appendix to the paper that is a copy of the unit plan.
vi) This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
vii) Submit the assignment to the instructor by the end of Topic 8. In addition, submit the assignment in Taskstream. Directions for submitting to Taskstream are found on the College of Education’s page in the Student Success Center.