Assignment: Assessing and Diagnosing Patients With Mood Disorders
Photo Credit: Getty Images
Accurately diagnosing depressive disorders can be challenging given their periodic and, at times, cyclic nature. Some of these disorders occur in response to stressors and, depending on the cultural history of the client, may affect their decision to seek treatment. Bipolar disorders can also be difficult to properly diagnose. While clients with a bipolar or related disorder will likely have to contend with the disorder indefinitely, many find that the use of medication and evidence-based treatments have favorable outcomes.
- Review this week’s Learning Resources. Consider the insights they provide about assessing and diagnosing mood disorders.
- Download the Comprehensive Psychiatric Evaluation Template, which you will use to complete this Assignment. Also review the Comprehensive Psychiatric Evaluation Exemplar to see an example of a completed evaluation document.
- By Day 1 of this week, select a specific video case study to use for this Assignment from the Video Case Selections choices in the Learning Resources. View your assigned video case and review the additional data for the case in the “Case History Reports” document, keeping the requirements of the evaluation template in mind.
- Consider what history would be necessary to collect from this patient.
- Consider what interview questions you would need to ask this patient.
- Identify at least three possible differential diagnoses for the patient.
By Day 7 of Week 3
Complete and submit your Comprehensive Psychiatric Evaluation, including your differential diagnosis and critical-thinking process to formulate a primary diagnosis. Incorporate the following into your responses in the template:
- Subjective: What details did the patient provide regarding their chief complaint and symptomology to derive your differential diagnosis? What is the duration and severity of their symptoms? How are their symptoms impacting their functioning in life?
- Objective: What observations did you make during the psychiatric assessment?
- Assessment: Discuss the patient’s mental status examination results. What were your differential diagnoses? Provide a minimum of three possible diagnoses with supporting evidence, listed in order from highest priority to lowest priority. Compare the DSM-5 diagnostic criteria for each differential diagnosis and explain what DSM-5 criteria rules out the differential diagnosis to find an accurate diagnosis. Explain the critical-thinking process that led you to the primary diagnosis you selected. Include pertinent positives and pertinent negatives for the specific patient case.
- Reflection notes: What would you do differently with this client if you could conduct the session over? Also include in your reflection a discussion related to legal/ethical considerations (demonstrate critical thinking beyond confidentiality and consent for treatment!), health promotion and disease prevention taking into consideration patient factors (such as age, ethnic group, etc.), PMH, and other risk factors (e.g., socioeconomic, cultural background, etc.).
Required Readings (click to expand/reduce)
American Psychiatric Association. (2013). Bipolar and related disorders. In Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (5th ed.). Arlington, VA: Author. doi:10.1176/appi.books.9780890425596.dsm03
American Psychiatric Association. (2013). Depressive disorders. In Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (5th ed.).
Sadock, B. J., Sadock, V. A., & Ruiz, P. (2015). Kaplan & Sadock’s synopsis of psychiatry (11th ed.). Wolters Kluwer.
Chapter 8, Mood Disorders
Chapter 31, Child Psychiatry (Section 31.12 only)
Document: Comprehensive Psychiatric Evaluation Template
Document: Comprehensive Psychiatric Evaluation Exemplar
Required Media (click to expand/reduce)
Classroom Productions. (Producer). (2015). Bipolar disorders [Video]. Walden University.
Classroom Productions. (Producer). (2015). Depressive disorders [Video]. Walden University.
Classroom Productions. (Producer). (1992). Mood disorders [Video]. Walden University.
Classroom Productions. (Producer). (2005). Bipolar disorder in children [Video]. Walden University.
MedEasy. (2017). Mood disorders (depression, mania/bipolar, everything in between) | USMLE & COMLEX [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59umGpQyaHs
Video Case Selections for Assignment (click to expand/reduce)
Select one of the following videos to use for your Assignment this week. Then, access the document “Case History Reports” and review the additional data about the patient in the specific video number you selected.
Symptom Media. (Producer). (2016). Training title 2 [Video]. https://video-alexanderstreet-com.ezp.waldenulibrary.org/watch/training-title-2
Symptom Media. (Producer). (2016). Training title 8 [Video]. https://video-alexanderstreet-com.ezp.waldenulibrary.org/watch/training-title-8
Symptom Media. (Producer). (2017). Training title 18 [Video]. https://video-alexanderstreet-com.ezp.waldenulibrary.org/watch/training-title-18
Symptom Media. (Producer). (2016). Training title 28 [Video]. https://video-alexanderstreet-com.ezp.waldenulibrary.org/watch/training-title-28
Symptom Media. (Producer). (2016). Training title 38 [Video]. https://video-alexanderstreet-com.ezp.waldenulibrary.org/watch/training-title-38
Symptom Media. (Producer). (2016). Training title 43 [Video]. https://video-alexanderstreet-com.ezp.waldenulibrary.org/watch/training-title-43
Symptom Media. (Producer). (2018). Training title 118 [Video]. https://video-alexanderstreet-com.ezp.waldenulibrary.org/watch/training-title-118
Symptom Media. (Producer). (2018). Training title 144 [Video]. https://video-alexanderstreet-com.ezp.waldenulibrary.org/watch/training-title-144
Symptom Media. (Producer). (2018). Training title 150 [Video]. https://video-alexanderstreet-com.ezp.waldenulibrary.org/watch/training-title-150
Document: Case History Reports
USE ONE VIDEO AND WRITE ON.
USE 6 RESOURCES AND REFERENCES