In this discussion, you will have an opportunity to make connections between your prior knowledge and the new content you are learning this week. Use your results from this week’s Build Your Proficiency Diagnostic to provide context for your prior knowledge and consider the new content about stocks, bonds, mutual funds, and other investment types as you respond to this discussion prompt.
Last week, you considered how much money you might need in retirement. This week, you will learn about investment options to help you save for the future. Consider the investment options discussed this week (stocks, bonds, mutual funds, real estate).
Respond to at least three of the following questions in a minimum of 175 words:
- Identify one concept from the Build Your Proficiency Diagnostic from Chapters 12 and 13 that you scored lowest in. How might this concept be important to your personal finances? Why would you want to know more about this?
- How would you choose to invest your retirement savings (stocks, bonds, mutual funds, other)? Why did you choose that option(s)?
- What are the advantages of investing in mutual funds?
- In the Wk 5 Learning Path, watch “Demonstration Problem Video 12.1: Comparing Returns on Different Stocks” in WileyPLUS. Section 12.1 of Personal Finance discusses measures to evaluate common stocks. Which do you think is best to compare companies? Why?
- Section 13.1 of Personal Finance lists types of investment companies that offer mutual funds. Which of these would be of most interest to you? Why?