Writing assignment Part A
On page 118 of your textbook is a picture of the sculpture Pietà by Michelangelo. As we have studied, Michelangelo’s Renaissance period returns to the Greeks for inspiration and ideas.
Using 200 – 250 words, answer the following questions. Don’t forget to defend your answer referencing the themes of the Hellenics and Hellenistics as discussed in this module.
1. Is Pietà more of a Hellenic or Hellenistic sculpture or a conglomeration of both Greek periods?
2. Compare this sculpture to David. How are the two sculptures similar and how are they different in intent, subject matter and mastery? Which one do you prefer? Why?
Writing assignment Part B
Using 200 – 250 words, answer the following about Duane Hanson’s Woman Eating, 1971:
1. What is the name of the sculpture you have chosen to write about? Duane Hanson’s Woman Eating
2. Is this work full-round or relief? Why?
3. How does the artist use the elements of mass, texture, and color in this sculpture?
4. Describe the following:
a. In what art period did your artist create this work?
b. What predominate ideas or themes are found in this art period?
c. How does this sculpture demonstrate these themes or ideas?
5. Do you think this sculpture will someday be considered a masterpiece? Why or why not?
6. Do you like this sculpture? Why or why not?
7. What does your liking or disliking of this sculpture say about you?