Due date: Sunday FEb 28 at 11:59PM
At FIU, in a Gordon Rule course, writing will be evaluated based on the following characteristics:
- Driven by a clear thesis or controlling idea.
- Supports thesis with adequate reasons and evidence.
- Displays sustained analysis and critical thought.
- Is organized clearly and logically.
- Shows knowledge of conventions of formal written English.
- Shows awareness of disciplinary conventions in regard to content, style, form, and delivery method.
Book: Chapters 8 and 9 (Attached)
This assignment contributes to the Gordon Rule with Writing (GRW) requirement and will count as 15% towards your overall grade.
To help you understand the media message, watch one episode of a reality show and one episode of a news program. You will need to compare and contrast the episodes you watched. Respond to the following questions in essay format in APA style:
- What emotions were triggered when you watched both episodes?
- Do you think these emotions were planned by the producers of the show?
- If so, what language was used to incite these emotions?
- Do you feel like you were led to a particular conclusion rather than left to make up your own mind? How so?
- Was information presented in meaningful context when comparing both shows?
- Was the information presented in a way that was factual, informative, descriptive, persuasive, coercive? Why?
Directions for Critical Thinking Activity #2:
- Word count: 400. Going under or over the word count will be counted against your overall grade for the assignment.
- Use Times New Roman size 12 pt. double-spaced.
- Essay can be written in first-person.
- Must be written in APA style.
- Submit it as a Word document ONLY.
- Essay should have proper punctuation, grammar, and structure. It should NOT be one huge paragraph. Practice the proper writing skills you learned in ENC 1101 & ENC 1102.
- Similarity index within TurnItIn should be 25% or lower. Higher similarity indexes will receive an automatic zero.