- Discuss your state NP community in terms of scope of practice. Include the your state’s scope of practice for NPs including: ( I leave in Maryland)
- Level of independence of practice
- Prescribing authority
- Any limitations of practice
- Process for obtaining licensure in your state
- Certification and education requirements for licensure.
- If you live in a restricted or reduced practice state, how has patient care been impacted in your local community from these barriers? For instance, is the ED used for primary care? Are the EDs overcrowded with long wait times? Are there urgent care clinics readily available? Is there adequate access to primary care? If you live in a full practice, how has independent practice of the APN resulted in improved patient access to healthcare?
- How does access to NPs impacts any healthcare disparities?
- Consider how patient care has been impacted in your local community by these practice barriers.
- For instance, is the ED used for primary care?
- Are the EDs overcrowded with long wait times?
- Are there urgent care clinics readily available?
- Is there adequate access to primary care?
- Are your rural communities adequately served?
- What healthcare limitations are present in your communities?
- Consider how unrestricted, independent practice of the APRN resulted in improved patient access to healthcare?
- Include in your discussion how access to NPs impacts any healthcare disparities.
- Be sure you clearly understand the concept of “health disparities” as you address this portion of the discussion.
As a reminder, all writing submitted should reflect graduate student quality and APA writing rules. All writing informed by outside sources should include APA formatted citations and associated scholarly, current references.
Buppert, C. (2017). Nurse practitioner’s business practice & legal guide (6th ed.). Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett.
- Chapter 8 – Risk Management
Letz, K. (2017). The NP guide: Essential knowledge for nurse practitioner practice. (3rd ed.). American College of Nurse Practitioner Faculty. Las Vegas, NV.
- Chapter 11 – Justifying and promoting the profession
Teitelbaum, J. B., & Wilensky, S. E. (2017). Essentials of health policy and law (3rd ed.). Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett Publishers.
- Chapter 13 – Public Health Preparedness policy